Ivan Makil was elected to three consecutive terms as President of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community (SPRMIC). Under his leadership, the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community became a nationally recognized model for successful business enterprises, land use planning and overall economic development that is creative, diversified, and culturally sensitive.Makil has played a highly influential leadership role in Indigenous communities, by advancing economic linkages, governance practices, and youth leadership programs. Through his many initiatives, Makil strives to bring Indigenous peoples to the forefront, such that, he played an active role in establishing a meeting between tribal leaders and the president of the United States and cabinet members (a feat that has not happened since the 1800’s!) Makil has been highly recognized for his numerous leadership initiatives, as he was selected as “One of the 100 Most Influential in Arizona” by The Business Journal.
- The WIBF Team attended the Presidential Inauguration and following reception
- Private Pre-Launch Event – World Indigenous Business Forum 2022
- Building a Legacy of Indigenous Leadership
- Indigenous business leaders meet against a backdrop of emerging prosperity
- World Indigenous Business Forum heads to Vancouver